View the SRWP Facebook Page  View the SRWP Twitter Feed  Signup for the SRWP Email Newsletter

Streambank Stabilization

Project Action Activity Required Permit or
Environmental Document

Placement of riprap, gabion, concrete, or biorevetment along a section of the bank of a stream or river for protection and stabilization

If fill material is placed, or would be discharged through grading, excavation, or dredging below the plane of the OHWM of the stream

Section 404 permit

If the stream is a navigable water of the United States and a structure will be placed in it

Section 10 permit
(USACE) (may be required)

If a Section 404 Permit is required

Section 401 Water Quality Certification *

If alteration or modification of the bed, bank, or channel of a stream will occur, including excavation and grading work and removal of existing riparian vegetation

Section 1602 Streambed Alteration Agreement *

If work will be done between levees or within a designated floodway

Reclamation Board Encroachment Permit *

If work will result in discharge of fill or dredged material or other waste material into surface waters

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit

If work will affect federally listed terrestrial plant or wildlife species or their designated critical habitat

Consultation under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) with USFWS; may need a “biological opinion” or “take” permit from USFWS

If work will affect federally listed fish species

Consultation under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) with USFWS/NMFS; may need a “biological opinion” or “take” permit from USFWS/NMFS

If work will affect state-listed plant or wildlife species

Consultation under the California Endangered Species Act (CESA) with DFG; may require a state “take” permit from DFG (for wildlife only); may require notification to DFG (for plants)

* Requires CEQA review