View the SRWP Facebook Page  View the SRWP Twitter Feed  Signup for the SRWP Email Newsletter

State and Federal Agencies

The National Park Service’s Exotic Plant Management Team travels to park units throughout the state to undertake local projects. Here team members remove outlying yellow starthistle plants.
Photo: National Park Service

Many government agencies at the state and federal level are facing the challenge posed by invasive plants. Some manage lands directly, while others support agriculture or protect native species. Local representatives of these agencies are often involved as partners in each of the county Weed Management Areas.


California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) is historically the agency responsible for plants that damage agriculture, and the agency has several important operations. They oversee eradication efforts for A-rated noxious weeds, implementation of the state’s Noxious and Invasive Weeds Action Plan, coordination of the states Weed Management Areas, operation of border inspection stations, and distribution of biological control agents. They employ several district biologists in the Sacramento River watershed that assist in weed control, and they work closely with county Agricultural Commissioners.

California Department of Fish & Game (CDFG) maintains the state’s Aquatic Invasive Species Plan, manages properties across the state, and is often the lead agency on species that primarily impact the state’s natural resources.

California State Parks fights invasive plants in their many park units across the state.

Caltrans manages vegetation along roadsides, a significant vector for spreading invasive plants.

California Department of Boating and Waterways (CDBW) controls water hyacinth and Egeria densa in the delta.

University of California Cooperative Extension (UCCE) provides seminars, workshops, and educational resources. Their Weed Research and Information Center has information specifically pertaining to invasive plant management.


USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) works closely with local Resource Conservation Districts <RCD page.doc>. Additionally, they provide information about federal and state noxious weeds in their plants database.

National Parks Service (NPS) manages park units in California. Their Exotic Plant Management Team is dedicated to invasive plant control.

USDA Forest Service (USFS) manages national forest lands, and has identified invasive species as one of their top management challenges. California forests can be reached from the Region 5 website.

Bureau of Land Management (BLM) manages extensive public lands in western states. Their California offices include several in the Sacramento River watershed.

USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS) operates a facility in Albany, California that researches biological control agents for invasive plant control.

Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) manages National Wildlife Refuges, and protects threatened and endangered species. Their Stockton office serves California.

Geological Survey (USGS) conducts research on invasive species ecology and management. Their Western Ecological Research Center focuses on western ecosystems. The Invasive Species Information Node collects biological information on invasives, and the California node is administered through UC Davis.